Thursday, August 20, 2009

Movie Review for 'The Soloist' Rated PG-13

Now available on DVD, The Soloist is based on the book by Steve Lopez, and directed by Joe Wright. This movie is based on the true accounts of LA journalist Steve Lopez.
While searching for his next story, Lopez, played by Robert Downey Jr., stumbles across a Julliard trained musician who is also homeless and suffers from mental illness. The Soloist took me on a journey that I was unprepared to take, though I feel I am better for having taken it. This movie was moving and poignant. The Soloist allows you to take a hard-nosed look at homelessness and mental illness in America, and at the importance of friendships in our lives. More pointedly, The Soloist allows you to reassess your views on all three.

I highly recommend this movie but, be prepared to be positively touched on an emotional and mental level. Jamie Foxx gives a riveting performance as Nathaniel Ayers and Downey's portrayal of Lopez is spot on! This movie delivered more than I ever expected. I will watch it again and again.
C.K. Webb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good film

Claude Bouchard said...

Ladies,

The site looks great!! Waiting to see some book reviews (Vigilante comes to mind!!)

Keep at it!!

C.