Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review of 'The Detroit Electric Scheme' by D.E. Johnson


The Detroit Electric Scheme was written by D.E. Johnson and published by Minotaur Books in September, 2010. It is available from http://www.amazon.com/
Will Anderson is the alcoholic son of the owner of Detroit Electric, maker of electric cars. One night, while Will is in a drunken state, his friend John Cooper calls and asks for his help. When Will arrives at the place they have agreed to meet, John has been gruesomely murdered and Will’s fingerprints are all over the murder, literally.
As Will tries to prove his innocence and find the real killer, he learns much about himself and about his true friends. With every day that passes, Will gets closer to the actual killer, but closer to life in prison as more and more evidence points directly to him.
This book grabbed my attention from the very first page and kept it throughout the entire read. The twists and turns in this one had me gasping aloud. I found it difficult, at best, to put this book down and I had many mental debates over who could be the real killer. This book kept me guessing the entire way through and was very well written.
This fictional story included much of the true history of the automobile industry and so many non-fictional characters, that it really made the story jump out and grab me. I absolutely cannot wait to read another book by Mr. Johnson! I have already recommended this book to several friends and family and will continue to do so.
This book gets 5 spiders from me with the understanding that if I could award more, I definitely would. Fantastic read!
SB Price

1 comment:

VoyagerG said...

Very nice review. I too loved this book. I could hardly put it down for anything and read it overnight within a few hours with just two or three breaks. I was intrigued from page one also, and at times I wanted to shake this main character to his senses, but ultimately wanted him to succeed. I did think there was a little too much pummeling, or as we say in the fanfic community, this author loved to 'Whump!' his characters. But other than that I kept guessing whodunit? and loved all the red-herrings. This book has all the earmarks of a terrific mystery. Well, it is a terrific one. I was immediately attracted to reading it because it was historical fiction too, and took place during that early Golden Age. I managed to figure out the ending, but was thoroughly discombobulated by the other turn of events. I definitely look forward to the sequel.