Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Review of 'Dark Corners' by Liz Shulte

Dark Corners was written by Liz Shulte and published by 4 Corners Press in 2011. You may purchase it at www.amazon.com and visit the author at http://bit.ly/nwxcmC

Ella is a well-known writer who lives in a house that she is bound to by a real life murder mystery. Her husband was brutally killed in their kitchen and the town folk have turned their suspicions on her. She finally becomes determined to find the real killer, but the house is haunted with entities adrift that seem to be working against her. Her sanity is threatened as she looks for clues along with Gabriel, a local detective friend, who will solve the mystery and hopefully give her closure and the ability to move on in her life.
As I started reading Liz Shulte's novel, I was impressed with her ability to infuse a strong sense of emotion and character into her main protagonist. Ella came alive for me as a person and I began to care for her—something that is essential to building a good story. After the initial introduction to Ella, I found myself caring so much that it was a little difficult getting through the first few chapters. The story and her life seemed to drag and there wasn't a lot of zing to the story. Questions that were inserted in my mind earlier in the story, lingered a bit too long for my taste and the tale lost some of the pop that I was looking for. However, the story soon recovered nicely and all of the story's neighborhood characters, including the ghosts, began to compete for a really good supernatural whodunit.
Liz Shulte has crafted a worthwhile read and I recommend that you find a place for Dark Corners on your bookshelf. I enjoyed it and am giving it a 3 spider rating. I look forward to more from this author in the future.
T Riddell

2 comments:

SenoraG said...

Do I really need anther book added to my TBR mountain when I have so many review books to read? YES I DO and this one is being added. Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review.

CK Webb said...

LOL!!! Like any of us NEEd another book, but I find 10 everyday I just HAVE to have!!!