Sunday, December 11, 2011

Book Review of THE WHISPER JAR by Carole Lanham

The Whisper Jar

A collection of curious secrets

By: Carole Lanham

Published by: Morrigan Books

Genre: Dark Fiction/Horror/Paranormal

Release date: October 31, 2011

First things first… The Whisper Jar is a collection of previously published works by the author that have been brought together in one delicious volume. It is often very hard to review a collection of short stories and poems, but I will do my best.

The stories and poems in The Whisper Jar include:

•The Whisper Jar

•The Good Part

•Keepity Keep
The Blue Word
•Maxwell Treat’s Museum of Torture for Young Girls and Boys

•Friar Garden, Mister Samuel, and the Jilly Jally Butter Mints

•The Reading Lessons

•The Adventures of Velvet Honeybone, Girl Werewuff

•The Forgotten Orphan

The cover of this book was enough to piqued my interests, but when I read the titles of the shorts, I was taken completely with the original concept of this literary work. The Whisper Jar opens with a poem so wonderfully written and paced that you cannot ignore the depth and strength of Ms. Lanham’s writing ability. Dare I say one of the best pieces of dark poetry I have read in quite a long while? YES… I do say!!

With a running theme that centers on secrets, each story ties itself to the theme in a most unique way. The first tale, fittingly titled The Whisper Jar, tells of people capturing their secrets in glass jars and hiding them away from the ears of others. Things do not always work the way we plan however, as her characters soon discover.

I’m giving The Whisper Jar a 5 spider rating and recommending it to anyone who likes this genre.

CK Webb


                                                                      

1 comment:

Carole said...

Thanks for the kind words and all those spiders! I love spiders! So glad you liked the book!