Friday, September 25, 2015

TRANSPORT - HUNT FOR THE FALLEN Virtual Tour Blog Post by Peter Welmerink

Here is the blog post we promised you from our friend Peter Welmerink. His latest zombie apocalypse novel will chill you to the bone, so please check out the post below and definitely check out TRANSPORT - HUNT FOR THE FALLEN.


Writing Second Book almost Kills Author

To throw this out bluntly, TRANSPORT (Book Two) HUNT FOR THE FALLEN was a bitch to write.

I had written TRANSPORT, the first book in the three part series, in roughly a year and a half. The story and characters seemed to flow from my brain, down to my fingers, into the keyboard to the computer screen.

The blank space filled up fast with action, zombies, pissed off civilians, bullets everywhere, Bob the 1950’s gas station attendant zombie, a giant mutated animal, wicked LIVING folk, NASTY Feral undead, and our star, Captain Jacob Billet, trying to keep himself, crew and vehicle in one piece to see the end of the day.

TRANSPORT, book one, flowed like a rain-swollen river.

TRANSPORT, book two, HUNT FOR THE FALLEN, ran like a stream of thick sludge ready to dry up totally under a hot sun.

I started writing the second book in May 2013. I knew where the tale started. I knew what bits and pieces I wanted to have in the storyline for the second book. I knew how I wanted it to end for the most part.

I didn’t know how to get from point A to point Z, and all the waypoints between.

It took me about 7 months to complete the 45,000+ word second novella. (I write slow due to day job, family, taking time out to breathe.) However, upon reading through it on that first path of self-editing, I truly hated not so much of what I wrote story and plot-wise, but how it all sounded.

It sounded flat and boring to me.

I got my end of edits done, and belligerently passed it along to my editor.

Then, my better senses screaming at me, asked him to toss his copy out as I was going to go through it again from a new angle.

I have to say, while finishing up HUNT FOR THE FALLEN, I had been reading and completed Chuck Wendig’s Urban Fantasy novel THE BLUE BLAZES, and had bought a copy of his THE KICKASS WRITER.

Reading THE BLUE BLAZES, and reading how it caught my attention throughout and seemed to simply POP…

This is what I wanted to do with TRANSPORT: HUNT FOR THE FALLEN. Make it pop and roar and flow like white water rapids, to carry the reader along RIGHT NOW.

I re-did the manuscript, taking me a few months to re-conbobble. (My new literary technical term for re-do. LOL) I sent the fresh copy to my editor, who read it, and came back saying WHAT THE HELL? DID YOU WRITE THIS? THIS ROCKS!

I changed up my “voice” and made the tale POP. I did that style in HUNT FOR THE FALLEN and its sequel and final book in the series, UNCIVIL WAR.

Here’s to you, dear reader. Enjoy the ride.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Peter Welmerink (www.peterwelmerink.com) was born and raised on the west side of pre-apocalyptic Grand Rapids, Michigan. He loves his hometown and West Michigan, which is why he writes about it. He writes Fantasy, Military SciFi, and other wanderings into action-adventure. His work has been published in ye olde wood pulp print and electronic-online publications. He is the co-author of the Viking berserker novel, BEDLAM UNLEASHED, written with Steven Shrewsbury. TRANSPORT is his first solo novel venture. He is married with a small barbarian tribe of three boys.

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS

Twitter: @pwelmerink

BLOGS

www.grandrapidsaltered.blogspot.com  (TRANSPORT-related posts)
www.darkheroicfantasy.blogspot.com  (author interviews and all things fantastical)


BOOK LINKS

TRANSPORT (Book One)
Barnes & Noble   http://bit.ly/1xDXMck


TRANSPORT (Book Two) HUNT FOR THE FALLEN

Barnes & Noble   http://bit.ly/1titw5T


TRANSPORT (Book Three) UNCIVIL WAR


B&N   http://bit.ly/1KtpFoB   

DJ Weaver


1 comment:

William Braylen said...

Los Angeles is not an irregular spot to visit around. It is brimming with exercises and places of interests that even low-profiled individuals would wish to be there. This is on the grounds that most prominent worldwide films are made in Hollywood, one of the urban areas in Los Angeles. http://www.mordocrosswords.com/2016/05/tour-transportation.html